The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) is a regional intergovernmental organisation comprising ten Southeast Asian states which promotes pan-asianism, intergovernmental cooperation and facilitates economic, political, military, educational and cultural integration amongst its members and Asian states.
• Bangkok Declaration: 8 August 1967
• Charter: 16 December 2008
এর সদর দপ্তর ইন্দোনেশিয়ার জাকার্তায়।
Motto: “One Vision, One Identity, One Community”
Since its formation on 8 August 1967 by Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, and Thailand, the organisation’s membership has expanded to include Brunei, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, and Vietnam.
প্রতিষ্ঠাতা সদস্য দেশঃ ৫টি
বর্তমান সদস্য সংখ্যাঃ ১০ টি
Its principal aims include accelerating economic growth, social progress, and sociocultural evolution among its members, alongside the protection of regional stability and the provision of a mechanism for member countries to resolve differences peacefully. ASEAN is an official United Nations Observer.
As set out in the ASEAN Declaration, the aims and purposes of ASEAN are:
- To accelerate economic growth, social progress, and cultural development in the region.
- To promote regional peace and stability.
- To promote collaboration and mutual assistance on matters of common interest.
- To provide assistance to each other in the form of training and research facilities.
- To collaborate for the better utilisation of agriculture and industry to raise the living standards of the people.
- To promote Southeast Asian studies.
- To maintain close, beneficial co-operation with existing international organisations with similar aims and purposes.