মোটামুটিভাবে উইলিয়াম শেকসপিয়ারের নিম্নোক্ত ১২ টি কর্ম কে বিয়োগাত্নক(Tragedy) হিসাবে উল্লেখ করা যেতে পারে। উল্লেখ যে সবকটিরই নামকরণ করা হয়েছে প্রধান চরিত্রের নামানুসারে।
1. The Tragedy of Julius Caesar
2. Antony and Cleopatra
3. Titus Andronicus
4. Troilus and Cressida
5. Romeo and Juliet is a tragedy written by William Shakespeare early in his career about two young star-crossed lovers whose deaths ultimately reconcile their feuding families(পারিবারিক দ্বন্দ্ব).
6. OTHELLO: Characters are Othello, Iago(Villain), Desdemona, Cassio, Brabantio.
The story of William Shakespeare’s Othello is set in 16th-century Venice and Cyprus. Othello the Moor, a noble black general in the Venetian army, has secretly married a beautiful white woman called Desdemona, the daughter of a prominent senator, Brabantio. When he finds out, he is outraged, and promptly disowns(ত্যাজ্য করা) her. Othello’s ensign(নৌবাহিনীর সর্বনিম্ন কমিশন প্রাপ্ত অফিসার), Iago, harbours(মনেমনে পোষণ করা) a secret jealousy and resentment(অসন্তুষ্টি, বিরক্তি) towards the Moor, partly because another soldier, lieutenant Cassio, has been promoted ahead of him, and also because he suspects that Othello has had an affair with his wife. Intent on revenge, Iago hatches(গোপনে পরিকল্পনা করা) a devious(চাতুর্যপূর্ণ, শঠতা পূর্ন) plan to plant suspicions in Othello’s mind that Desdemona has been unfaithful to him with Cassio. He orchestrates(গোপনীয়তা ও সতর্কতার সাথে জটিল কোনো পরিকল্পনা করা। ) a street fight, for which Cassio is wrongly blamed, and is then dismissed from his post by Othello. Desdemona takes up Cassio’s case with her husband, which only further inflames his suspicions that the pair are lovers. In the meantime, Iago manages to procure(সংগ্রহ করা) a treasured(মহামূল্যবান) handkerchief from Desdemona that was given to her by Othello. He plants it on Cassio so that Othello sees it, then concludes that it is proof of their affair. Maddened(পাগল করা বা উত্তেজিত করা) by jealousy, he orders Iago to murder Cassio, and then he strangles(গলা টিপে হত্যা করা) Desdemona. Immediately afterwards her innocence is revealed, and Iago’s treachery(প্রতারণা) exposed. In a fit of(মানসিক অবস্থার) grief and remorse(অনুতাপ, অনুশোচনা) Othello kills himself. Iago is taken into custody by the Venetian authorities.
7. Macbeth: A brave Scottish general named Macbeth receives a prophecy from a trio of witches(তিন জন ডাইনি) that one day he will become King of Scotland. Consumed by ambition(উচ্চাকাঙ্ক্ষার বশবর্তী হয়ে) and spurred to action by his wife(স্ত্রীর প্ররোচনায়), Macbeth murders King Duncan and takes the Scottish throne for himself. He is then wracked with guilt(অপরাধবোধের মানসিক কষ্ট) and paranoia(মানসিক বৈকল্য). Forced to commit more and more murders to protect himself from enmity and suspicion, he soon becomes a tyrannical ruler. The bloodbath and consequent civil war swiftly take Macbeth and Lady Macbeth into the realms of madness and death.
8.King Lear: The story opens in ancient Britain, where the elderly King Lear is deciding to give up his power and divide his realm amongst his three daughters, Cordelia, Regan, and Goneril.
9. The Tragedy of Hamlet- Prince of Denmark, often shortened to Hamlet , is a tragedy written by William Shakespeare at an uncertain date between 1599 and 1602. Set in the Kingdom of Denmark, the play dramatises the revenge Prince Hamlet is called to wreak upon his uncle, Claudius, by the ghost of Hamlet’s father, King Hamlet. Claudius had murdered his own brother and seized the throne, also marrying his deceased brother’s widow.
10. Coriolanus: is the name given to a Roman general after his more than adequate military success against various uprisings challenging the government of Rome. Following this success, Coriolanus becomes active in politics and seeks political leadership. His temperament(মন মেজাজ) is unsuited for popular leadership and he is quickly deposed, whereupon(যার পর, যার ফলে, এবং তারপরে) he aligns himself to set matters straight according to his own will. The alliances he forges to accomplish his own will result in his ultimate downfall and death.
11. Cymbeline: Cymbeline is King of Britain; his first wife died, and he married a wicked queen. Imogen, Cymbeline’s daughter is in love with Posthumus, but her stepmother wants Imogen to marry Cloten, the queen’s son. When Imogen balks(বানচাল করা বা বেঁকে বসা) and secretly marries Posthumus, the king has banished him .
12. Timon of Athens: