George Bernard Shaw(1856 – 1950) is the greatest modern dramatist. He is known at his insistence simply as Bernard Shaw, was an Anglo-Irish playwright, critic and polemicist(বাদানুবাদাত্নক অলংকারিক) whose influence on Western theater, culture and politics extended from the 1880s to his death and beyond. He wrote more than sixty plays. Shaw became the leading dramatist of his generation, and in 1925 was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature. He was the leading dramatist of his generation.
He is called father of Modern English Literature and father of Modern English drama.
Plays of G.B. Shaw
1. Doctor’s dilemma
2. Mrs. Warren’s Profession: The madam of a string of brothels justifies her career to her daughter.
3. The Man of destiny: A play in which Napoleon Bonaparte is a character name.
4. Pygmalion: This is named after a Greek mythological figure. The play is a sharp lampoon(কোনো ব্যক্তিকে তীব্রভাবে ব্যঙ্গকরে রচিত কোনো রচনা) of the rigid British class system of the day and a commentary on women’s independence.
5. Ceasar and cleopetra
6. Androcles and the lion
7. Arms and the man: is a humorous play that shows the futility(নিষ্ফলতা, অন্তঃসারশূন্যতা) of war and deals comedically with the hypocrisies(ভণ্ডামি) of human nature.
8. Devil’s Deciple: (শয়তানের চ্যালা)
9. The apple cart: It is satirical(ব্যাঙ্গাত্নক) comedy play about several political philosophies which are expounded(ব্যাখ্যা করা) by the characters, often in lengthy monologues(একলাপ, স্বগতোক্তি).
10. Man and Superman
11. Canadida(Comedy play)
12. Saint Joan
13. The Perfect Wagnerite- A Commentary on the Niblung’s Ring: is a philosophical commentary on Richard Wagner’s Der Ring des Nibelungen,
14. An Unsocial Socialist
15. You Never Can Tell
Plays Unpleasant and Plays Pleasant are two collection of GB Shaw’s play.
Quotes of G.B. Shaw
1. There are two tragedies in life. One is not to get your heart’s desire. The other is to get it.
2. Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.
3. Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.